When the EPA ruled on Lead Paint and in turn turned the industry of paint removal into a hazardous waste one, it was only a matter of time before the lawsuits began.
I just finished an amazing and yes complex book called Lead Wars, The Politics of Science and the Fate of Americans Children. I do think anyone in the industry of Construction and Environment read it immediately.
The EPA has a brochure out that includes the affects of Lead on the body including:
Lead Gets into the Body in Many Ways
Adults and children can get lead into their bodies if they:
- Breathe in lead dust (especially during activities such as renovations, repairs, or painting that disturb painted surfaces).
- Swallow lead dust that has settled on food, food preparation surfaces, and other places.
- Eat paint chips or soil that contains lead.
- Lead is especially dangerous to children under the age of 6.
- At this age, children’s brains and nervous systems are more sensitive to the damaging effects of lead.
- Children’s growing bodies absorb more lead.
- Babies and young children often put their hands
- and other objects in their mouths. These objects can have lead dust on them.
- Women of childbearing age should know that lead is dangerous to a developing fetus
- Women with a high lead level in their system before or during pregnancy risk exposing the fetus to lead through the placenta during fetal development.
Health Effects of Lead
Lead affects the body in many ways. It is important to know that even exposure to low levels of lead can severely harm children.
In children, exposure to lead can cause:
While low-lead exposure is most common, exposure to high amounts of lead can have devastating effects on children, including seizures, unconsciousness, and, in some cases, death.
- Nervous system and kidney damage
- Learning disabilities, attention deficit
- disorder, and decreased intelligence
- Speech, language, and behavior problems
- Poor muscle coordination
- Decreased muscle and bone growth
- Hearing damage
Although children are especially susceptible to lead exposure, lead can be dangerous for adults, too.
In adults, exposure to lead can cause:
- Harm to a developing fetus
- Increased chance of high blood pressure during pregnancy • Fertility problems (in men and women)
- High blood pressure
- Digestive problems
- Nerve disorders
- Memory and concentration problems
- Muscle and joint pain
The issues surrounding lead should not be placed in the same category as say "global warming" as there is no question about the safety and ultimate danger of exposure to lead. I am aware that the science cretins have issue with all things science to the point of where safety and health of their children is acceptable as many many schools in this country still possess lead paint so there you go Ed reform!
There is currently a Lead Paint trial in California right now towards the manufacturer's of Lead Paint. I have been waiting to write about this issue until after the verdict but it seems to be taking longer than I expected.
And the debate among those in the field is as heated as a lead based fire. I find it interesting that technicians have no interest in their own health, their workers or well the customers they serve. It all resonates down to costs. Sad really that we have to put our health and safety on the line for the almighty dollar. Now I see why OSHA has no hope in ever really establishing regulations and enforcement.
This issue I think it predominately is the focus is on the fact that it affects the Poors, the group who live in lower income and often public housing that has not the resources available to remediate the problem. And the fact that the public schools still have this paint should be an issue even if you have no children attending them as you may have friends and family who work within them. But hey that is another great way to break up those Teacher's unions!
The articles about the trial are here. I think reading them all is worth the energy. The book is highly technical but the author's were on Bill Moyers and Company and they make a case that not a trial in any way.
Got Lead? Well you may without even realizing it. This is politics of toxic disinformation.